Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Early in the morning

For some reason as of late, I've been waking up, pretty much of my own accord, early each morning. For the last two weeks I've woken up usually between 5-6:30 in the morning. At first I was annoyed. Scratch that...very annoyed. I was tired. I needed my rest. If I was going to get beauty rest I needed at least 23 hours a day to sleep. Well, maybe not that much.

But still.

Have you had this? It's that frustrating moment when you wake up, check your cell phone for the time and the want to curse the night because it's way stinking early and you're wide awake. It's at that moment where I pause and wonder "Do I attempt to go back to sleep and most likely toss and turn and finally fall asleep only to have to wake up or just make a pot of coffee?" I've started opting for the coffee.

It's turned out to be a blessing for me. I've started having that quiet time for myself. I've found it easier to focus in my prayers and devotions (though I still think my new ADD meds are helping too). I've also found it easier to go to the gym. In fact, I've been going on a more regular basis since coming out this way.

In fact, the picture above was taken one morning as I was going to the gym. I had woken up early and it was one of the earlier days where I wondered if I should go back to bed or make coffee. I had made coffee, read my Bible, prayed and then left for the gym. As I was getting into the pick-up, I saw this and had to take a picture.

The words from that old hymn came to my mind

Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty! Early in the morning our song shall rise to thee.

What was thought to be a frustration and I was about to even call it a blasted curse, has become helpful.

(Warning: gonna get all spiritual here) Once I stopped fighting my body and listened to it, I think I actually started more so listening to the Holy Spirit moving me to wake up early. Now, if you are waking up a lot in the night, it might be insomnia. And I know I can get fits of insomnia. But I know that right now, God is even using that for his glory to help me draw closer to him and to work on my own health--spiritually, emotionally and physically.

What about you? What is a frustration (or even a curse) that you might ask how God might be able to use it for His glory and to help you grow?

No comments:

Post a Comment