Friday, May 6, 2011

Fighting snacking like a Klingon

Since my last post, I've been working on at not snacking. Now many dietitians and health experts state that having some snacks in between meals is a good thing. Yes, it is when you eat healthy, low calorie food once at a small intervals. On the other hand, you shouldn't graze the cupboards and pantries of your house like a cow escaped from the stockyards.

My last post about gluttony brought some interesting responses on Facebook. There was a reaction that I was connecting being overweight with gluttony. Let me be very direct. I wasn't. There. I said it. But what I should have stated previously is that being overweight isn't the problem, it is a symptom. It is a symptom of a health issue, an emotional issue or a spiritual issue. If you are overweight, please see a doctor and work through this as I did. I've had numerous physicals and each time I've been told that I'm perfectly healthy save for that gigantic Santa sized spare tire around my gut. The culprit? I've narrowed it down to snacking.

On Tuesday, I did something interesting. I fasted. I didn't eat for a chunk of the day. I wanted to see what the problem was. I figured, eliminate the base and see where the craving develop. It was so stinking hard! I so just wanted to snack. I wasn't hungry. I didn't have that rumbly in my tumbly. I just wanted to snack.

And so, I've decided fight against snacking like a Klingon! Yes, that wonderful fictional alien race from Star Trek renowned for their love of battle and honor. I’ve never really fought off snacking before. Back two years ago when I really started dropping weight. I was still snacking. I loved me some beef jerky and peanut butter Twix. Yet, I was also at a different place in my life. My job and responsibilities had me more active. I was moving around more. I didn’t need to fight it off. But now I do.

So, I figured I’d take my example from the Klingons. They fight with honor (or at least supposed to) so should I. For a Klingon, Honor is more important than life. For me, to live is Christ, to die is gain. If I'm putting snacking ahead of Jesus, then I'm in trouble. So, if I’m going to fight off snacking, I need to stick to my guns. Not this, well, just this once. I’ve tried that. It backfired. And then I beat myself up. I know for myself that what works is a conscious decisions to move forward in the war against snacking. And so I must do so with honor.

Klingons are also known for their toughness. So, when fighting against snacking like a Klingon, I know I need to be tough. I need to endure. I need to push through it. When others are snacking, I need to hold back. I need to also watch how much I eat and of what. Eating a nice healthy sandwich like that BBQ Turkey Burger (460 calories) from Hardee's is much better than eating their Monster Burger. I mean, who can resist 2 patties of pure meat with each level glued together with bacon. With 1,320 calories I’m gonna need try. (Finding out the calories to one of my favorite sandwiches was like seeing Jar Jar for the first time in Phantom Menace.) I gotta be tough. I gotta be strong.

And so I think of these words

I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13

And so I pray to God that Christ gives me the strength of a Klingon, the honor and toughness of a Klingon to wage this war against snacking. I didn’t start it, but by golly, with the help of Christ at my side, I’m gonna end this bugger.

Now I just gotta figure out how to stay loyal to my exercise routine like a Wookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment