Friday, May 20, 2011

Zombies and Mayans and the Rapture! Oh My!

The zombies are coming! The zombies are coming!...well, maybe not. According to a recent CDC blog, if you prepare for a zombie apocalypse then you'll be prepared for real emergencies too. There's been a number of Zombie jokes as of late (please no Zombie Jesus jokes). Which is interesting because there's also the news of the end of the world as we know it (insert REM song here). Apparently there is a church in California stating that the Rapture will be happening on May 21, which, by the way, is tomorrow.

According to this particular lay pastor, the rapture will happen tomorrow sometime and all those who've been Christians before 1988 will be raptured and taken up to heaven. So, in essence, I'm out of luck because I became a Christian in 1992.

What I find really funny is that there are many now melding the two together in some twistedly sarcastic synchronistic fashion. The believers before 1988 will be raptured and everyone else who is left over (apparently including yours truly)will face a zombiepocalypse and will have to follow the CDC rules of preparedness. I've never seen the movie Zombieland, but now I'm starting to think I probably should.

What gets me, is the fact that I thought just months ago, people were all worried about the Mayan calendar and the year 2012. There was even a movie about it. And it starred John Cusack...say it with me: John Cusack

So, what does this all mean? Well, to tell the truth, Jesus gives us a very definitive answer on this

“However, no one knows the day or hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows." Mark 13:32 NLT

“The Father alone has the authority to set those dates and times, and they are not for you to know." Acts 1:7 NLT

So, in others words, them guys out in California can't say for certain that it is tomorrow. Nope. Sorry. And the zombiepocalypse? That's a great way to get a point across. And the Mayan Calendar and 2012...didn't see the movie actually.

But, we do know this: be prepared. Be very prepared.

Jesus is coming back, we just don't know when. Neither do they in California. But Jesus does say this to us

"And since you don’t know when that time will come, be on guard! Stay alert!" Mark 13:33

Even Jesus told us to watch out for things like the people in California (the church, not the whole state). Test it. Does it match with the Bible? Nope. Does it glorify God? Not really. Does it strengthen the church? I think it does the opposite.

So, what should we take from this?

Trust in God. Keep your eyes on Jesus. And keeping moving forward, trusting in the power of the Holy Spirit. When he comes, he comes. Until then, serve and live for Christ.

7 comments:

  1. HC would not like to be called part of a church. :D Apparently, the church is all false since 1988. See you on the other side of the apocalypse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My apologies.. wonder which side I'll be on. Team Zombies or Team Reprobate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But, we do know this: be prepared. Be very prepared."
    Do you know where your towel is? I think mine is around here somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Car, towels are very useful. You can use the threads to store needed nutrients, you can use it to help you on the desert planets, to zip line down ropes from roof tops.. wait.. that's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.. that's another post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that the end of the world didn't happen and I'm glad that zombies didn't take over the world. Reminds me of the song from Audio Adrenaline "Some Kind Of Zombie."

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Rob..I don't think I've ever heard that one by them. Now I gotta look it up. And the zombies will probably come around Dec 22 2012...Spike TV's having a Deadliest Warrior Vampires vs Zombies...thinking I should watch to get some pointers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I use this picture for a game that I am making? ( credtis to www.netfreestuff.co.uk )

    ReplyDelete