Saturday, January 8, 2011

Working hard or hardly working

An old mentor of mine told me that you can never step into the same river twice. That's true. The river constantly flows, it's never the same. When weight lifting, you can never lift the same weights twice. And for some reason, I keep forgetting that. Two weeks off, sickness, bossiness, vacationness (is that a word?)and then finally back into weight lifting. I thought I started it off smart this time. I went down about 15 pounds for most of my routines. Did well that Monday. That Wednesday, I goosed them a bit higher. Friday, not only did I go at the weight and rate as Wednesday, but for some, I took it up to 11. Bad idea. I had forgotten about my rhythm, my groove, the zone I had been in before Christmas. Gone. The river moved, sediment followed, and now it was different. I had taken the precautions and started the weights light, but forgot about the groove. Luckily I was smart this time.. I made sure I didn't puke. I walked away before that. I knew my limitations.

I didn't want to write a blog post about New Year's resolutions. I've made a resolution not to make any and then I broke it right away...I made one--not to make any. But I know that many of us are making our New Years resolutions. Many New Year Resolutions are to get back into a prayer life, to start reading the Bible more. You can't step into the same river twice. You can't lift the same weights twice.

Spiritual lifting is just as hard. It's not as easy as we sometimes think. You have to pace yourself. Right now, I'm curling 120 lbs 2 sets of 8. I started at 50 lbs. I do my best in praying through the Bible, writing a journal, praying for friends. I didn't start there. I started with someone showing me how to read a Bible, how to pray.

You don't just jump into it. If you do. You'll spiritually puke.. and that's not good either. When we push too hard spiritually we get burnt. He we get hurt. And it leaves a bad taste in our mouths and are more reluctant to pick it back up later. Take it easy at first. Build up to it. If you're desire is to get back into the swing of it again, you can't start off where you were at. Start off slow, work your way back up. But START!

No comments:

Post a Comment