Saturday, June 25, 2011

Yoda, Picard and that other guy

In my office, I have a number of items. I have books. I have a laptop, I have pens and highlighters. I have mementos from mission trips and gifts from friends and family members. I have a pair of wooden shoes in size 15 sitting on the top of a bookcase. I also have figurines of Hahn and Chewbaca, a Yoda figurine, an Optimus Prime figurine and other items.

Why do I have these last few items in my office at church? Because not only do they rock the Casbah, but they also have meaning to me.

They are the epitome of manliness. To which, you might be asking yourself: "Huh?" Hahn many people get but Yoda and Optimus Prime? And why is Picard's name in the title if he's not one of those in my office?

Good questions all of them (and not because I asked them myself). I've been reading Wild at Heart by John Elridge. It was suggested to me on the post Scratch and Spit. The book is about being a man of God and what it means to be a man of God.

One of the things I've realized in the last few years is that our role models for men is sparse. No offense...or maybe there should be some. Because instead of looking towards men who could truly show what it means to be a man, I've turned to Sci-Fi for assistance. Now, don't get me wrong. I've had some amazing mentors over the years who've been there for me and have walked me through some important chapters in my life.

But why these guys? Well, Yoda is wise and is a teacher and mentor to Luke. Picard is a thoughtful and determined leader who takes time to teach, instruct and even admit when he is wrong. The same is true with Optimus Prime. And Hahn and Chewy? Well, they just rock.

It takes more than one person to raise a child. It takes more than one man to teach a boy how to be a man. It takes more than one man of God to teach young men what it means to be a man of God.

Luckily I had 5 men when I was in high school and my first few years of college who did just that. But there are others who don't and didn't have what I did. Many don't even look to Yoda, Picard or some other guy. Instead, they turn to celebrities who's lives are screwed up just as much as their own.

So, my charge, my request...heck, my frakin challenge to you men who are reading this: DO SOMETHING! It takes more than one man of God to teach a young man what it means to be a follower of Christ. Come along side these young men who need mentors. Be a spiritual mentor. It's not as tough as you think. Be yourself in Christ with them and teach them to do the same. But do it. As Yoda would say "There is do or do not. There is no try." Or Picard: "Engage."

4 comments:

  1. I like it! Great book isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the way you used frakin' even though there's no Galatica reference otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good read. I was just speaking with some colleagues yesterday about culture's pressure on men to be independent; the reality is that we men need each other to help us grow. ~Stan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stan... so true. Wish we had more Godly men to stand up and mentor others and support each other in the faith...and still be able to scratch and spit with the best of them :)

    ReplyDelete