Friday, March 4, 2011

Star Wars parenting tips

There are times at the end of the day where you just want to hang your head and cry. I mean just sob. Not out of pain, not out of agony, but purely out of stress. Can't I just have five seconds to myself in the bathroom, please? Can't I make one phone call without you guys headbutting each other (okay, I did teach them that one, so it is kind of my fault).

In an earlier post, I made reference to wanting some sort of spiritual advice in raising my kids. Of all the people in all of Geekdom, the one person thought of as the ultimate wise mentor and advisory is Obi-Wan Kenobi. He was a strong mentor and trainer for Luke. I wish I had someone like that to give me advice. And then I (once again) have to remind myself that this is the same guy who raised Darth Vader. Though, in watching all 6 (4 good) Star Wars movies, I being to wonder if it really wasn't his fault. I mean, he did his best to teach Anakin how to be a good person, how to listen to the flow of the force. But in the end, it was the influence of Emperor Palpitine that led him to the Dark Side....

...well... it was also his insecurities too.

I want to be a good father. I want to be a good example of what a man of God is supposed to be like. And boy do I slip up! I try to show them what it means to pray and read the Bible and instead he mimics me when I get upset and frustrated. I try to teach him how to be good, nice, gentile, Christlike, and he mimics my bad habits. And I want to know, who taught my daughter to put her hands on her hips when she's being defiant...And maybe it wasn't the best idea to teach my son the awesomeness of burping into a wrapping paper tube and having it broadcast around the house...

We're doing our best to teach our kiddos healthy living both in eating habits and in physical exercise. Why do I feel like a failure when trying to teach them how to be spiritually healthy as well...

I hear these words

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4


Okay, so, yes, Yoda sensed in Anakin much fear, but Obi-Wan still did his best. I think my kids sense in me much fear..but I'm going to do my best.. by the grace of God, I'll do my best...and I need a lot of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment