Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My Pick up got up and left

I have a pickup. In fact, I have a 1980 custom Ford F-150. It is a downright classic. It is a V-8 361 engine that runs great. I had to have some basic maintenance done on it to keep it up and running. Seals and gaskets get old and cracked over time. It needs routine maintence from time to time to make sure it doesn't break down. A 30 year-old classic like this needs to be...wait...

It occurs to me that my pick up is 30 years old.

I'm 33. Am I a classic? Will my seals and gaskets get all cracked and warped here soon.

So, routine maintenance is good for my 30 year-old pick up, I'm guessing it's good for me. So, let me try to do some maintenance here.

I think I'm doing okay emotionally. No major break downs. ADD meds doing fine. Some frustrations from time to time (with a 5 year-old and a 2 year-old, I'm guessing it's okay to have some frustrations) but overall I think I'm doing okay.

I think I'm doing okay spiritually. I know that I haven't been journaling as of late like I really want to. I have been trying to regularly be in God's Word (in my line of work, it is essential to regularly be in the Word)And I've been praying a lot lately (again.. a 5 year-old and a 2 year-old..you pray for patience mostly) for my family, friends and most importantly for the church here in Corsica.

Physically on the other hand? Well, my bathroom scale and I have this hate/hate relationship going on. First it didn't give me the results I wanted and then it just started messing with me. I just bought a new one today. Take that bathroom scale, you can be replaced!!

I've always found what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 to be interesting. I've used it to encourage myself to keep on doing maintenance.

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

Now, my hope is to work on my pick up and keep it going so that it remains not just a classic but in great shape as well...I'm thinking that should be my goal with myself too, to strive on for the prize, to run the race well, to keep on keeping on.. now to just figure out about them blasted gray hairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment