Tuesday, July 6, 2010

while on a break

A little while back, I saw a quick add for an article on Yahoo! while I was about to log onto my e-mail. It said "Don't take a vacation from your health while on vacation." Now I'm wishing I had read it. I tried to find it but to no avail. At first I thought, I've worked hard, I can take a break... and then proceeded to spend from Memorial Day to the 4th of July eating burgers, brats and hot dogs, potato salads, ice cream and all the fun summer fair...and gained about 10 lbs. Yikes! And I was still exercising at the same time...and gained a 1/2 inch around my gut...

Now, I know this is just me. And I know that everyone is different. But I'm begging you all, don't take a break while on a break! Maybe it's more to myself than anyone else. That voice that's pleading inside my head to be healthy. And that pull by the Holy Spirit to continue on my spiritual journey. What was it? Eat and Drink for tomorrow we die? No.

God has called us to be good stewards of what he has given us--including our bodies. Paul writes "Don't you know that your body is a temple." And he also talks about how he works at controlling his own body so that he is the master of it and not the other way around.

Relax and rest. By all means. If you're working hard on all ends, rest. Enjoy God's eternal rest found in Jesus. Don't push to hard on the diet and exercise and break down. But also, when on a break, don't over indulge...well, not too much. Again, this is probably more to myself than anyone else...

No comments:

Post a Comment