Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Writer's Block--a Lenten Meditation?

Yes, I didn't put up a Monday blog. No, I wasn't participating in a digital fast for Lent. Even if I did, I think it might be against Matthew 6:16-18 to blog about it anyway. The story? I've had writer's block. Yep. Not just writer's block but weight lifting block. Heck, I've had exercise in general block!

With writer's block, I just can't seem to get the words out to blog about something important that is related to be a Spiritual Musclehead. I couldn't think about something that was highly spiritual. I couldn't think of something that was exercise related (mainly because I haven't gone to the gym in a a couple of days to get more material)and I was struggling to think of something dealing with relationships and the emotional side of things. ERG!!

And it's this not knowing what to say that bugs me. I need to know what to say each week. More than that, Sunday comes twice a week for me. As I was thinking about this, I thought of what happened the night Jesus was betrayed. We read in Mark 14 that Jesus went to the Garden of Gethsemane with Peter, James and John to pray. Jesus needed to unload what was on his soul in prayer. He wanted his three closest friends with him. And what'd these three friends do? They fell asleep. Three times Jesus asked them to stay awake and three times they fell asleep.

I always connect with what Jesus tells them in v40

"When [Jesus]came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. They did not know what to say to him." Mark 14:40

They were blocked. Here they are, with Jesus, having the experience that so many people today wish that they had. It'd be like throwing the football with Joe Montana, playing basketball with Michale Jordan or golfing with Arnold Palmer or driving NASCAR with what's-his-face (I don't follow NASCAR, sorry). And they fell asleep. More than that, they tried to look away (Jesus could tell. He's the Son of God, the second person of the Trinity...that and their eyes were heavy). And they didn't know what to say.

Right now, I don't know what to say. My mind won't move forward sometimes on this. It's blocked. During this season looking forward to Easter, I just don't know what to say right now.

Have you ever had that?

3 comments:

  1. Having that right now! Struggling with finding the right words to say at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep on keeping on is the only way to break through it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying not to have it while I'm editing and finalizing a research paper!

    ReplyDelete